The Akumal Travel Guide for hotels, restaurants, tours and things to do will offer you the once in a life time experience to swim with the famous and fantastic Akumal turtles or dive and snorkel around the world´s second largest reef.
This quaint and picturesque town is located just 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen and 10 minutes from Tulum. The Half Moon Bay of Akumal gives you the opportunity to see an abundance of marine life, schools of fish, barracudas, manta rays, lobsters and of course sea turtles in a free natural environment. This area is one of the best places for snorkeling in the Riviera Maya, Mexico.
Upon arriving at Akumal, you will be blown away by the color of the sea. A few steps further and you will see how calm and clear the water is and its charming sense of peace and tranquility. Now it’s just a question of choosing your palm tree to leave your things under, grab your snorkel and mask and head to the warm Caribbean Sea.
Akumal has its very own Turtle Protection Project in which they work very closely with the Tourism Board to bring awareness of the importance of protecting these amazing creatures and the eco-system.
Hotels in Akumal:
Mayan Explore gives you different options to plan your vacations when travelling to Akumal. You will find different options to stay, from budget hotels and hostels to luxury accomodations. Two of the most famous hotels are the Hotel Club Akumal Caribe and Vista del Mar Akumal.
Akumal Condo Rental:
Akumal is very famous for tourists who would like to stay for a month in Mexico in a beachfront condo where you will see a beautiful sunset everyday.
Some of the most famous places for rent are: Luna Azul Condominiums; Akumal Escape; Casa Gatos; Casa Serenidad; Crystal Azul; La Bahia, and La Joya.
If you would like to rent a villa or condo, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Top 3 things to do in Akumal:
Akumal is a great place to spend a day with your significant other, family or friends. The activities that we suggest are those that everybody loves to do here.
1. Snorkeling Tours in Akumal:
- Snorkeling with sea turtles is the most famous activity in Akumal. Tours around the main beach can take you see them.
- Snorkeling and swimming in Yal Ku Lagoon. This is the perfect place for families, located just 5 minutes away from Akumal Bay.
- Diving around the “Motorcycle Reef”: a 15 year old motor bike located many meters under the sea, now covered with coral and attracts a wide variety of multi-colored fish.
- Snorkeling, swimming or diving in a cenote (sinkhole). There exist hundreds in the area.
- Biking to expore the hidden places of Akumal.
Or simply kick back and enjoy an ice-cold beverage and forget about all your worries.
2. Akumal nightlife
There are no nightclubs, but the restaurants Lol- Ha and La Cueva del Pescador are famous places for a glass of wine or a beer.
- Quench your thirsty head for an ice cold drink on the ocean front at Lol-Ha Restaurant at the hotel Akumal Caribe.
- Try the chocolate chip ice-cream in one of the most famous Akumal restaurants: Lucy’s Kitchen.
- Stop by the Cueva de Pescador for their famous ceviche. This is our favorite Akumal Restaurant.
- Go to La Buena Vida beach club, we highly recommend it, especialy if you are on vacation with your family.
3. Akumal Shopping:
In Akumal, you will find some small boutiques with typical Mexican handcrafts, art galleries and souvenirs. At the entrance of Akumal, on your right-hand side you will find a supermarket where you can buy whatever you need for your vacations.
Cancun/Playa del Carmen to Akumal Ground Transportation
Akumal is an easy one hour drive (approx.) from the south of Cancun straight down the coast, after Playa del Carmen. To get to Akumal you can take a taxi; a colectivo (public vans that you can take on the highway), or rent a car. The distance from Playa del Carmen to Akumal is 30 minutes approx.
Four Ways to get to Akumal:
If you are planning to travel to Akumal, there exist four options:
- Transfers: we can arrange them for you, just send an email to email@example.com
- Cabs: from the airport to Akumal (normally quite expensive).
- Bus: take a bus to Playa del Carmen from Cancun Airport or downtown Cancun. Then take a taxi or a colectivo (public van) to Akumal, and then another taxi to your hotel (this will be the least expensive way to get to your hotel in Akumal).
- Rent a car: at the airport.
Now you can see why Akumal is on our "Top 10 things not to be missed whilst in the Mexican Caribbean!"